Alas, I’ve been trolling the craft store again. This time, I ended up in the floral department, which is an area through which I rarely venture. Although I find the artificial flowers there beautiful, the price tags tends to turn me off, and I always feel like I could MAKE something that would leave me feeling much more satisfied. As I turned to leave, however, I came across a styrofoam flat circle – the kind you use to make floral wreaths with. My crafty muse immediately kicked me in the posterior with her glittery boot, so I bought the wreath and high-tailed it back to my craft room.
First, I wrapped the styrofoam wreath in paper strips cut from magazine pages included in many of the Gauche Alchemy kits, including the Wholey Sheet kit. I used Mod Podge to do kind of a Papier–mâché treatment, to ensure that I’d have a good solid base to work on. Once it was dry enough, I painted it (sloppily) with white Gesso paint. Sloppily mainly because I wanted some of the magazine page design to show through, but also because that’s just how I roll.
While the wreath base was drying, I spent around a half hour punching paper flowers out of the rest of my stack of magazine pages. It was kind of therapeutic actually. Punch, slide, punch, slide… After I had a nice stack of pretty paper posies, I went to tinting them with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in lovely summer colors. By the time my little paper flowers were dry, so was the wreath, and so I went to work assembling.
I used ball-end stick pens to secure all my flowers to the wreath. Some of the flowers I layered, some of them I didn’t. I pushed the pins in at an angle so they wouldn’t stick through the back. I quickly noticed that as the flowers continued to dry, they curled up a bit, which was perfect! When I had all the flowers pinned where I wanted them, I added a felt butterfly that I cut by hand, secured with a large hat pin. I then added some crocheted lace trim from my Mixed Media Color Kit to the top via two stick-pins on the back of the wreath (tip: place the pins pointing UPWARDS so they don’t yank out after you hang your wreath!)
Here’s the finished project, including some detailed pics so you can see, well… the details! 🙂
Filed under: altered art |