Hi everyone – Happy New Year 🙂
First of all I apologise profusely for the photos. It’s extremely dark and gloomy here at the mo so have had to use my flash a lot.
I’ve been lucky enough to come into possession of a room that will become my craft studio – hereafter forever known as my stu-stu-studio… because I said so. It’s in need of a thorough clean out and wash down before I can move in so I decided I might as well try and get the stuff I’ll be taking there in order too.
I’m always being moaned at for my paint brushes being left everywhere and the family inadvertently ending up with bits of purple and red in their dinner *ahem* So what better place to start.
I nabbed this empty container from my lovely Mother-in-laws house on Boxing Day.
I measured a scrap piece of card to fit the height and make sure it would wrap all the way around. My scrap is just the cover off of an old paper pad so anything would do.
I then started building up layers of colour using Acrylic paint.
I then placed a piece of Punchinella over the top while the paint was still wet and randomly dabbed at it with a piece of kitchen towel. When I had a look I liked I flipped the Punchinella and moved it to a different area and patted it down again – this put the excess paint back on and created a kind of negative effect.
I repeated this with different colours and different shaped Punchinella until I was happy.
Once that was dry I used a plastic beaker dipped in black paint to create the black rings. I also added dribbles of paint to the edges of the card. I took some clean kitchen towel and pressed down to take off some of the excess paint – I then used this excess paint as a kind of kitchen towel stamp on the opposite edges of the card. The kitchen towel also left a fab dimpled impression which I really like and will use again. I also brayered over the paint a bit while it was wet and smeared some yellow paint in places with my fingers, just because it has to be done *g* I then left it overnight to dry.
Double sided tape was added to the cylinder and to the back of the card for extra strength. I simply rolled the cylinder onto the card – pressing down as I went.
To the top I added some Punchinella – the starry shaped one – just love stars – and some lace. To the bottom I used PVA to glue on some buttons from the It’s All Gravy Baby kit.
Et Voila! Tidy brushes in a groovy pot! All ready for their new home.
Thanks for taking the time to read – if you get messy or have organisational tips of your own be sure and let us know here or in our Flickr pool or Facebook, we love seeing your work and you could end up featured in the next issue of DIRT! our fabulous newsletter. (Sign up – link on your left!)